Fun, Fun Fun!!

Fun, Fun Fun!!

Wednesday, October 5 - 1 down…11 to go (Liberty, KS)

 

I have not written since Sunday, mostly because I have been exhausted when we get home.

Working at Amazon is a great way to make some money in a short period of time, but it really is exhausting especially when you are not used to this kind of work. They keep telling us that it gets better as you get used to it.

One thing I can say is they really like work campers and make you feel special. They say that we are reliable, accurate and stay on task. They hire hundreds of temporary work campers that get laid off on December 23rd.

Jesse and I both work in the inbound department. We put items (asins) away (stow) on shelves (bins) all day long. Amazon has their own language. You put the items (asins) wherever you can find room, items are not assigned a specific bin.

We get up at 4:30am and Jesse walks the boys, which by the way it’s dark and they are not ready to get up. We have to drag Mr. B out of bed. I get up make the bed, and start getting dressed. Then I make lunches, eat a yogurt for breakfast and then out the door. Jesse makes me a cup of coffee and has a little time to get on his computer before he gets ready. He walks the boys one more time before we leave.

We are to be at “stand up” ready to work with our scanner at 6am. Stand up is an area that all workers meet in the morning and after lunch for announcements and to do some brief stretching.

We have our 1st 15 minute break at 9:30am, but it can take you 2.5 minutes to walk one way to the break room, as this is a huge facility  ….. 1.25 million square feet.

Then we get lunch at 12:30 and must be back at stand up at 1pm for announcements and stretching. 2nd break is at 3:00pm, which means we only have 1 hour 15 minutes left before we get off at 4:30pm.

Our commute is very short we are only about 1 mile from the warehouse. When we get home our boys seem very happy and are happy to see us. They are being walked by Kay and we are very pleased to have her be a “2nd Mommy” to them for us.

When  I get home all I want to do is get in the shower. Then I have to make dinner and of course I really don’t feel like it because I am exhausted. I told Jesse that I will be making casseroles that all I have to do is warm up in the microwave in the future.

Only 11 more weeks to go ……………..

5 comments:

Along the Way with JnK said...

That's why we choose to do the pumpkin and Christmas lots. Yes, we work 12 hour shifts everyday with no days off for 30 days, but we are not on our feet standing all day. We get to sit and work on our computer, or just hang out when business is slow. On pumpkins it is slow for the first 2 weeks, business booming on weekends throughout. Christmas...we hit the door running and stay busy for the first few weeks and slow for the last 10 days.

Good luck, we have heard many Amazon workers say the same thing about eventually getting use to it, we think we never would.

Leno said...

I have been anxious to hear about the job. I have given them my name for next year, but not sure yet if I can do it. Good luck. Hope it get's easier!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to get your opinion of working there. I have heard horror stories over the years and just wondered what's it REALLY like! ha

Donna nana.donnad@yahoo.com

Esther said...

It sounds like our summer, except using different muscles! I did the same thing about the cooking...couldn't bear standing in the kitchen after a long day on the feet!
Still remembering to close the washer door gently, lol!

Lynda said...

Whew - up at 4:30 would do me in! Setting the alarm for 6:45 to get to exercise classes 3 days/week by 8 is bad! If you feel old now, wait until your daughter turns 52!